Friday, March 09, 2007

A little Pepsi here, some spit there, and VOILA! Art!!

Dress Up Games, Doll Makers and Cartoon Dolls @ The Doll Palace

I got violently ill from eatting a Burger King cheesburger for the first time in three months. o.o I'm NEVER eating there again. It felt like all my organs were on fire...and it was awful! I'm better now, just a little weak.


Work has been busy as usual, but school is starting to ease up a bit. Everyone is ready for spring break and so am I! I saw the scholarship student gallery this week and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. There were only a few paintings I liked, mostly portraits done by one artist in particular. Everything else didn't look good enough to be in the show. I don't mean to be mean, it's just when someone slathers some rusty looking paint on a piece of cloth and nails it to the wall and calls it 'untitled'...I don't have to like it. Trust me, I have an abundance of art appreciation. I work with some fabulous artist at school and I'm influenced and inspired by them. It bothers me that art is so fashionable to the trendy crowd of unartistic people. That even if you don't give a lick about it, your parents shell out money for top notch supplies so you can perge soulless art and actually get scholarships for it. I'm not saying that all of them in the gallery did that, but I've run into a few people in my time here that do art just because everyone else is doing it. There's only so many self-proclaimed, non-objective artists I can swallow these days.


On another note, my school is hosting the annual student gallery this April, and Ill be submitting a few things for approval and possible entry. I'll have to pinch out some money to get them framed and wired for display, but that shouldn't be too pricey. I'm really excited about it actually, but I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to enter. I have a stilllife I did this semester that I'm rather proud of...it may need some re-working though. I have a few things from last semester as well that would qualify. Hrmm...decisions, decisions! Perhaps I'll make my current project (plaster on wood board / mixed media) all spiffy for it. I can submit up to six entries, but I don't think I want to do that much. I don't think I have six entries worthy enough. lol

3 comments:

Curtis Verdun said...

Very interesting article, very much enjoyed reading it.
(Did you mean voila rather than viola?)

Joy said...

ya a viola is totally an instrument....XD

jess does this, it's her thing XDDD

Jessi said...

Yesh, sorry. It was a typo. Thank you for stopping by, Curtis Verdun! :D

Viola's are also pansies.